Magui RF / Shutterstock
Bringing a brand new cat into your private home shouldn’t be so simple as choosing the primary lovely kitten you discover. If you wish to be a pet mother or father to one of many two million cats adopted from animal shelters annually, you must first take into consideration whether or not you’re capable of decide to the accountability of caring for a cat, financially and emotionally. If you’re, do your analysis to search out the appropriate cat for your loved ones, house, and way of life. Learn on to study what to think about when in search of one of the best adoptable cat for you.
What elements ought to I contemplate when selecting a cat?
Each cat is completely different, so it’s necessary to consider what you’re in search of in a cat earlier than scouring on-line adoption listings. Under are only a few elements to think about.
- Age: A playful kitten would require extra supervision, whereas an grownup shelter cat may go higher for a busier way of life or a house with youngsters.
- Persona: If you’d like a cat with a sure temperament, you’re higher off selecting an grownup cat, as kittens’ personalities are onerous to find out. Determine in order for you a cuddly and quiet lap cat or an energetic feline who will preserve you busy.
- Exercise degree: A extra energetic cat will want frequent playtime and train, however when you have a busy schedule, chances are you’ll need to select a calmer companion who doesn’t thoughts spending time alone.
- Temperament: Properties with youngsters ought to contemplate relaxed, easy-going cats. If in case you have a quieter house, a shyer feline could also be a superb match.
- Breed: Many cats in shelters are combined breeds, but when their breed is understood, that info could assist offer you some concept of their general temperament.
- Coat kind: Lengthy-haired cats are a bit of extra high-maintenance, requiring frequent brushing to keep away from matting. For those who don’t need to continually groom your cat, decide a short-haired feline.
- Well being: Most cats in a shelter will doubtless have a clear invoice of well being, however be sure you ask the employees any questions on a cat’s particular wants or well being historical past.
- What if I’ve different pets at house? If in case you have different cats or canine at house, be sure that to decide on a cat who has interacted with these animals earlier than. Be ready to introduce your new cat to your present pets slowly and thoroughly.
How can I make sure the cat’s well being and medical historical past are in good situation?
The animal shelter or rescue employees is aware of their pets effectively and may let you know all a few cat’s medical historical past and present well being. While you undertake a cat, the shelter will offer you their full medical data so you realize which vaccinations your pet nonetheless wants and any prior well being points they could have. Be sure to schedule an appointment along with your vet ASAP after taking your cat house to determine care and schedule their subsequent vaccinations.
How can I decide a cat’s character in a shelter or rescue setting?
Earlier than you select a cat, you must take time to get to know any cat you’re interested by. Thankfully, many shelters and rescues have rooms the place you possibly can spend time with cats to slender down your decisions from all these candy faces. Comply with these tricks to study extra about selecting the correct cat for you, even in a shelter setting.
- Spend time with the cats: Go to with all adoptable cats to see which of them seize your consideration. Discover how every cat responds to you, and if there’s a explicit cat that steals your coronary heart, see if the shelter has house so that you can spend one-on-one time collectively. Be sure you know learn how to decide a cat up earlier than trying to take action.
- Ask questions concerning the cats’ personalities and histories: Some cats get a bit of timid when new folks are available in, however the shelter employees can let you know how they act once they’re most comfy and reply your questions on a cat’s background.
- Comply with your intestine intuition: Chances are you’ll know which cat is best for you simply by feeling a particular connection. Take note of and belief your instincts.
What if the cat’s habits presents challenges after adoption?
How a cat acts in a shelter interplay could also be completely different from how they act once you lastly convey them house. Do not forget that each grownup cat in a rescue or shelter has a historical past and should take a while to really feel comfy. Use the following tips to make sure that your cat has one of the best alternative to turn into a contented, wholesome, and loving pet:
- Be affected person: Know that it might take your cat weeks and even months to adapt to their new house and life.
- Create a secure house in your cat: Arrange a room in your house that’s solely the cat’s house till each you and your cat are prepared for them to discover the remainder of the home.
- Spend time along with your cat: Your cat will let you know once they need to be petted with a delicate nudge of the pinnacle. Allow them to set the tempo in your interactions and spend time with them whereas nonetheless respecting their house.
- Contemplate skilled assist: In case your cat’s habits is just too difficult to deal with by yourself, take into consideration consulting a cat behavioral specialist. It’s also possible to attain out to the shelter to ask for steerage.
How can I guarantee a profitable long-term relationship with my new cat?
One of the simplest ways to create a constructive relationship along with your new cat is to begin off proper. Let your cat prepared the ground in terms of interactions like petting and snuggling. Take note of their physique language and cues and ensure to fulfill all their wants, reminiscent of feeding your cat a high-quality and nutritious diet, protecting their litter field clear, and offering loads of toys and playtime for psychological and bodily stimulation.
Take time to consider what you need in a cat and the way your pet will greatest match into your private home and household. Then, once you’re able to undertake, you possibly can preserve a watch out for a cat that may really feel comfy in your family. And with persistence, time, and, after all, love, you possibly can assist your new pet really feel at house and revel in the advantages of cats as pets for years to come back.
Adopters and Pet Choice Preferences in 5 Animal Shelters in the US
Adopting a Shelter Cat: What You Have to Know
RSPCA: Adopting a Cat or Kitten
What to Search for When Adopting a Cat
Selecting the Proper Cat Breed for Your Persona
Humane Society of Grand Bahama Selecting the Proper Cat
Selecting and Caring for Your New Cat